Monday, December 6, 2010

The Legacy We Leave

With the passing of my Grandmother on Dec. 4, 2010 I wanted to write about the legacy that each and every one of us leave in this life. In James 4:14 we are told, "Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes." There is great truth in that statement. However, as I remember my Grandma today I found myself thinking about a can of air freshener.

I know that might make me sound a little out of my mind but please bear with me. Every time you spray air freshener what happens? You see a mist or vapor that hangs in the air for a few seconds before it dissipates. This is what God calls our lives. Nothing more than a mist.

As I thought of this I was reminded of the fact that even though that mist may last for a moment, and then it is gone, it can leave behind a pleasant fragrance that can be enjoyed by others. Or it can leave behind a nasty smell that pushes others away. Each of us is like a can of air freshener. The question that we must ask is, what kind of scent will we leave behind.

As I remember my grandma I remember all of her mannerisms, her stubbornness, her certainty, but more importantly, I remember her love, her joy, her laughter and her hugs. I remember the weeks I'd spend with her as a kid and the times I'd show up with my friends as a teenager. I remember her baked Mac and Cheese that she made just because she knew I liked it.

The fact is we all leave behind memories, what will people remember you for? In Paul's second letter to Timothy he wrote these words, "I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also." ~2 Timothy 1:5

Thank you Jesus for giving me a Grandma that left a legacy of love and joy. I look forward to seeing her again while we sit at your feet in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment