Sunday, November 21, 2010

Time for a Change



In this song my nephew sings a song he wrote about a man with no hope left in life that he played for us one Sunday morning when I was preaching in Venango Woods Church in PA. To me this song tells about a desperation that is deep within all people. A desperation that is calling out for something that makes this life have value.

Since that Sunday morning I have listened to this song often and every time I think back on my life. I remember all the times that I felt so broken and desperate. I remember walking down so many roads; drugs, sex, violence, ect.. just desiring something to sooth the pain, something to make my life more livable.

The fact is each of of has within us a God shaped hole that we just can't fill with anything else. Our lives are so full of junk. We carry around so much pain, heartache, anger, resentment, and guilt that we can easily become bitter and guarded in every area of life. We put up a front, a perception of who we want people to believe that we are but deep down we wish people knew the real me.

During Jesus' earthly ministry, He warned the religious leaders of the day about wearing masks (the Greek word hypocrite simply means "one who wears a mask")Jesus was telling the people that the Kingdom of God is a place that we can be real. A place where we can deal with all that junk that we try to hide and carry on our own.

Listen to these words of Master Jesus as He speaks to your heart today, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

The fact is Jesus doesn't want you to carry those burdens anymore but wants us to carry His yoke. A yoke in Jesus' time is a set of teachings that a rabbi teaches His disciples. It is the yoke that binds them together that allows them to carry the load of life.

Jesus was once asked what was the greatest commandment and He responded, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Matthew 22:37-40

When we come into God's Kingdom our only burden is a burden of love for all people. All the garbage that life throws at us just isn't that important any more. Our life has value and purpose and as we pour ourselves into others we find that our own problems are lightened. Ephesians 4:2 says, "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love."

Friends, God never intended us to go through this life alone. We are meant to live in community with one another. We are part of a "Kingdom". we are citizens of a heavenly kingdom that has a great way of living then this earthly kingdom we grew up in. It is time for us to get real, stop playing church and be the men, women, and children God created us to be. When we do we will find the healing and refreshing that our souls so long for.

No comments:

Post a Comment