Monday, November 29, 2010

Perspective

I remember taking a trip with my Geology class where we were traveling through the Appalachia learning about various geological features. We were in a car caravan with CB radios listening as our professor gave lectures on the various "fingerprints of God" that encompass the world in which we live. I was driving along in my Jeep with Denford, a pastor from Zimbabwe who came to America to earn his degree before returning home. As we are driving down the road we began passing homes that were nothing more than rundown shacks. I remember this one home that was just in shambles, the windows where covered with Duct Tape and the car in the yard was covered with rust holes, and the yard was covered in thousands of various chunks of broken machinery. As we passed this house Dr. Bullard told us to look around so we could see the conditions in which the poorest people in America live.

This was a very somber moment, that was until Denford started to laugh. I was caught off guard, I looked over at him and asked what he found so funny. I will never forget his answer. "I find it funny that America's poorest people would be among the richest people in Zimbabwe." He continued, "Look at their home, they have a car, clean clothes, (as he pointed out the cloths hanging on the line) they have a t.v. antenna, and running water. In my country I live in one of the wealthiest families and in our family of 8 we have one car that will seat only 4 people. We must walk nearly everywhere and if we want to get there fast, we run."

That conversation taught me a valuable lesson on perspective. We get so caught up in ourselves, what we do or do not have. We get so caught up in our relative circumstances that we loss sight of the bigger picture.

As we enter into this Christmas season maybe it is time for a paradigm shift. Rather than being so concerned with all of the things we want or finding that perfect gift, our focus should be on the the Christ child who came into the world lowly, humble, meek, and mild born in a barn and swaddled in a blanket resting peacefully in a feeding trough (a manger).

Jesus entered this world poor to make us rich in Him. Our wealth is but garbage compared with the riches to come. May we remember those in need this season and provide for those who can't give back.

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

No comments:

Post a Comment