Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Hell is Real (But I Hate to Admit It)

Photobucket

This is my first time writing a review of a book. The reason I chose this book to be my first is because the author Brian Jones was my very first mentor on my journey to serve God in the ministry.

Brain begins the book by sharing about his past. He shares about a time when he, as a pastor, didn't believe in hell. This is a story I haven't just heard but I also remember. I remember when Brian came before our church and asked for forgiveness and asked if we would allow him to remain as our pastor. This moment shaped me forever as a man of God. This moment taught me that God's word must be absolute for me as a pastor.

As the book continues Brian digs into what the Bible teaches about hell and why it is so important for Christians to believe what the Bible says. He goes into the reasons why we don't believe and the reasons why people don't believe in hell and looks at the reasons why those who do believe in hell don't respond it the apocalyptic urgency the a biblical understanding of God and hell should produce in us.

This book spoke deep into my heart, convicting me of my lack of urgency in leading people to Christ. I already had to repent 3 or 4 times before I got to the place in the book that Brian suggests that we repent.

What really makes this book a must read is the fact that Brian doesn't leave his readers with great knowledge and no application. Brian spends time helping his readers become effective at leading their unsaved friends to Christ. His advice is insightful and based on his real life experiences.

I highly recommend getting this book. It will challenge you to draw closer to God and encourage you to be able to share your faith with confidence knowing that God is in control.

No comments:

Post a Comment