Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Cross and A Splinter

I love the way God uses little things to open our eyes. Take for example in Proverbs 6:6-8 we find these words, "Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest."

Go to the Ant. Have you ever seen a lazy ant? Me either.

Well, this week God used a little thing to give me a perspective check. Let me explain.

First Baptist Church in Miamisburg is preparing for it's Easter drama called, "One Voice." I was asked to play the role of Jesus, a most humbling role to play. Think about it - How I portray Jesus could forever shape how some people think about Jesus. (God, I apologize now.)

So during practice this week, we were rehearsing the part where Jesus is carrying the cross. At one point in this scene, I collapse under the weight of the cross. When I did this I had a splinter from the cross stab into my thumb. It was about a 1/4 inch long and completely under my skin. (Yes, it hurt. No, I didn't cry or yell out.) As soon as that scene ends I have to get ready for my next scene. On my way to the right position I was complaining about the splinter. (Did I mention that it hurt and I was trying to get it out?)

It was at this moment that God, the Holy Spirit, spoke to me. I just stopped and looked at the girl next to me and said, "Am I really complaining about a splinter? After Jesus carried the cross He had nails put through both hands and feet." Wow! What a moment of humility. But that isn't all.

As I thought about this, I was reminded of the fact that the cross I was carrying was much smoother than the cross that Jesus carried. Not only that but part of the torture of of crucifixion was the fact that Jesus had been scourged before being nailed to that cross. His back had the flesh ripped apart as pieces of metal and bone dug into His skin and tore away strips of skin. Then, while on that cross, Jesus would have had to push Himself up on the nail in His feet in order to take a breath or speak. Then when the pain in His feet and legs was too much he would drop all His weight onto the nails in His hands, and when He does that, He can't breath. Then I looked at the splinter in my thumb and thought of all the splinters that filled the wounds on Jesus' back when He cried out, "Father, forgive them they know not what they do."

Thank you God for this reminder of how much you suffered for a wretch like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment