Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dealing With Doubt

In Mark 9, Jesus comes upon a group of disciples arguing with with the teachers of the law. The text indicates the argument was about Jesus' ability to heal this boy who is demon possessed. Jesus' disciples had been unable to heal the boy. When the boy is brought to Jesus the spirit in in the boy responds by throwing him into convulsions. He fell and rolled on the ground, foaming at the mouth.

The boy's father then pleads with Jesus, "if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us."

"IF YOU CAN"

Many times our walk with God is challenged with a nagging doubt that God won't or can't act in our situation. For some reason our faith is challenged and we desire for God to intervene on our behalf but we lack the true faith that God desires from us.

Let's look at Jesus' response in verse 23, "'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes."

Jesus is basically saying that our faith in God directly correlates to how God will choose to respond to our prayers. Look at: Matthew 8:9-11, Matthew 9:2, Matthew 9:22, Matthew 9:29, Matthew 13:58, Matthew 15:28, Matthew 21:21, John 14:12, Acts 3:16, Acts 14:9, ect...

Faith is so important in our walk with God that Hebrews 11:16 says, "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."

So how do we deal with these lingering doubts that war against our faith. The answer is found in Mark 9:24, "Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, 'I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!'"

HELP ME OVERCOME MY UNBELIEF!

This man started out saying "I believe" but then he got real with Jesus "help me overcome my unbelief!" He knew that if he wanted to see God work in the life of his son that he needed to get real with Jesus. I can see it now:
"Ok, I confess, I don't believe. I want to believe but my son has been suffering for so long. I have tried so many things to get him help and nothing seems to work. My situation is some overwhelming. It seems every time I get my hopes up they get crushed over and over again. Please Lord! I want to believe. I really do but I have put my hopes in so many things before and I just don't have any faith left. Help me Lord Jesus. Help me to believe!"

I don't know what you are struggling with today but maybe it is time we get real with God. God loves you where you are right now. He doesn't want a show that looks like you have it all together, He wants you to simply come, as beaten, battered and bruised as you may be and He will help you with your unbelief.

Romans 3:3-4 says, "What if some did not have faith? Will their lack of faith nullify God's faithfulness? Not at all! Let God be true, and every man a liar. As it is written:
"So that you may be proved right when you speak
and prevail when you judge."

No comments:

Post a Comment